The IB Programme is a rigorous two-year programme recognised internationally for offering academic, personal and social development. It allows students to personalise their learning programme to some extent whilst continuing with a broad base of languages, maths, science and humanities. Students learn skills which are relevant to future undergraduate study whilst gaining a strong knowledge base in their chosen subjects.
Students who enjoy the challenge of learning in the English language and are willing to put significant effort into their academic and personal development can opt for the IB, provided that they have areas where they have been academically successful in the past. Students are expected to take at least 3 courses as Higher Level subjects and the rest at Standard Level.
The IB Programme at Markham is excellent preparation for both Peruvian and international universities.
The IB programme enables access to UK and other European universities and also Australian, New Zealand and Canadian universities which may make students the offer of a place conditional on gaining certain overall and/or specific grades. Students interested in US university entrance may prepare for SAT entrance examinations while doing IB; the SAT examination is now given at Markham College.
Most private Peruvian universities accept 24 Diploma points for direct entry. Some others give credits towards the first year of general studies for IB students with 32 points or higher, in addition to accrediting certain courses depending on the IB grade obtained.
The IB Diploma Programme is:
- A two-year course at Markham College (Sixth Form: 5B & 6B)
- Considered to be a very rigorous academic programme
- Taught almost entirely in English
- An excellent preparation for university both here in Peru and abroad
Students are expected to complete the following courses which may be taken at a higher or standard level:
- At least one first level language (Spanish and English)
- Mathematics (several levels are available for different career choices)
- At least one Science course (several choices are available for different career choices)
- At least one Humanities course (several choices are available for different career choices)
- PE (Physical Education): Markham requires all IB students to continue with weekly PE classes for the two years of the Programme
- Choice of elective: an arts subject or another language first or second level (English, Spanish or French) or another science or humanity
- Theory of Knowledge (TOK) and write a 4,000 word Essay
- Complete a course in CAS (Creativity, Action and Service)
The IB Diploma Programme Options for Subjects at Markham:
- Choices under the category of Science include: Biology; Design Technology; Chemistry; Computer Science; Physics; Sports: Exercise and Health Science and Environmental Systems and Societies
- Choices under the category of Humanities include: Economics; Geography; History; Psychology and Environmental Systems and Societies
- Choices under the categories of Arts and Languages include: Film; French; Music; Theatre and Visual Arts